Sherwood denies warning Benteke off Liverpool move

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood denies ever telling former striker Christian Benteke not to join Liverpool .

Benteke, 24, hit out at Sherwood on Thursday, saying his former boss had told him not to join Liverpool because they "do not cross the ball". 

Yet Sherwood says he had never made such a suggestion to Benteke, who joined Brendan Rodgers' team in a deal worth £32.5million, insisting he would never disrespect the Anfield club.

"I can't remember ever saying that, he must have dreamt that one," he is quoted as saying by The Mirror .

"I would try anything to make him stay but I don't remember ever saying he shouldn’t go and play for Liverpool. I wouldn't be that disrespectful to that football club."

The Belgium international scored 42 Premier League goals in 88 appearances for Villa after joining the club in August 2012, with his goals helping the club secure their top-flight safety last season.

Benteke scored 11 goals in 10 league games late last season after an injury-laden run of form under former boss Paul Lambert, but Sherwood says he had never tried to take credit for his form.

"I took no credit, people gave me credit, I didn't take it, I didn't ask for it," he said.

Sherwood denies warning Benteke off Liverpool move Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: nicole